Southwest Extends Schedule Through Summer 2019 and Adds New Caribbean Routes (Come on Hawaii Flights, Get Here Already!)
If you’re sitting on a Southwest Companion Pass right now, you can now book your (nearly) 2-for-1 flights through August 5, 2019! If you don’t have one yet, check out our guide to the Southwest Companion Pass here.
Now is a great time to consider working towards the Companion Pass because if you earn it in January 2019, you’ll have it until December 2020. And all of the Southwest cards have increased bonuses right now!
Plus, Southwest announced new routes they’ll be starting soon – but still no word on Hawaii flights.
Southwest has announced a bunch of new routes and new flights to currently served cities.
On June 9, 2019, they are starting new non-stop routes from Nashville to:
- San Jose
And starting June 10, 2019, they’re increasing the number of round-trip flights between Nashville and:
- Boston, 4 flights day (an increase of one weekday flight)
- Detroit, 3 flights a day (an increase of one weekday flight)
- Las Vegas, 4 flights a day (an increase of one flight Sundays-Fridays)
- Minneapolis, 2 flights a day (an increase of one weekday flight)
- San Diego, 3 flights a day (an increase of one weekday flight)
- St. Louis, 4 flights a day (an increase of one weekday flight)
Apparently, the economy is pretty good in Nashville because they are also bringing back seasonal routes to Seattle and Norfolk, Virginia.
Other non-stop routes being added on June 9, 2019, include:
- San Diego and Omaha
- Ontario, California and San Francisco (4 flights a day on weekdays, 3 flights a day on weekends)
- Austin and Raleigh-Durham
The best part is on June 15, 2019, you’ll have 2 new options for Southwest flight to the Caribbean (pending government approval). They are adding flights between:
- Baltimore/Washington and Grand Cayman
- Houston (Hobby) and Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
If these routes tickle your fancy and you’re interested in qualifying for the Southwest Companion Pass, you’ll need to earn 110,000 Southwest points in a calendar year. The quickest way to do this is by opening just 2 credit cards.
Chase issues all the Southwest cards, and they no longer let you have more than one personal Southwest card. So you’d need to open a Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Credit Card and any one of the following personal Southwest cards:
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card
If you have any questions about earning a Southwest Companion Pass or how to get the most out of it, be sure to read our complete guide to the Southwest Companion Pass.
To stay up to date on the latest Southwest news subscribe to our newsletter!